    SubjectRe: Intel P6 vs P7 system call performance
    On 19 Dec, Dave Jones wrote:
    > On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 02:22:36PM +0100, wrote:
    > > > However, there's another issue, namely process startup cost. I personally
    > > > want it to be as light as at all possible. I hate doing an "strace" on
    > > > user processes and seeing tons and tons of crapola showing up. Just for
    > > So why not map the magic page at 0xffffe000 at some other address as
    > > well?
    > > Static binaries can just directly jump/call into the magic page.
    > .. and explode nicely when you try to run them on an older kernel
    > without the new syscall magick. This is what Linus' first
    > proof-of-concept code did.

    True, but unless I really don't get it, compatibility of a new static
    binary with an old kernel is going to break anyway.
    My point was that the double-mapped page trick adds no overhead in the
    case of a static binary, and just one extra mmap in case of a shared

    > Dave

    Bart Hartgers - TUE Eindhoven

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.018 / U:44.260 seconds]