    SubjectRe: Intel P6 vs P7 system call performance
    Hi!

    > > (Modulo the missing syscall page I already mentioned and potential bugs
    > > in the code itself, of course ;)
    >
    > Ok, I did the vsyscall page too, and tried to make it do the right thing
    > (but I didn't bother to test it on a non-SEP machine).
    >
    > I'm pushing the changes out right now, but basically it boils down to the
    > fact that with these changes, user space can instead of doing an
    >
    > int $0x80
    >
    > instruction for a system call just do a
    >
    > call 0xfffff000
    >
    > instead. The vsyscall page will be set up to use sysenter if the CPU
    > supports it, and if it doesn't, it will just do the old "int $0x80"
    > instead (and it could use the AMD syscall instruction if it wants to).
    > User mode shouldn't know or care, the calling convention is the same as it
    > ever was.

    Perhaps it makes sense to define that gettimeofday is done by

    call 0xfffff100,

    NOW? So we can add vsyscalls later?
    Pavel
    --
    Worst form of spam? Adding advertisment signatures ala sourceforge.net.
    What goes next? Inserting advertisment *into* email?