SubjectRe: [BENCHMARK] scheduler tunables with contest - prio_bonus_ratio
On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 19:02, Andrew Morton wrote:

> What Con said. When the scheduler makes an inappropriate decision,
> shortening the timeslice minimises its impact.

OK, I tried it. It does suck.

I wonder why, though, because with the estimator off the scheduler
should not be making "bad" decisions.

> > But that in no way precludes not fixing what we have, because good
> > algorithms should not require tuning for common cases. Period.
>
> hm. Good luck ;)
>
> This is a situation in which one is prepares to throw away some cycles
> to achieve a desired effect.

Well one option would be no algorithm at all :)

But if you can find good values that make things run nice, then perhaps
we just need to change the defaults.

I think we should merge sched-tune..

Robert Love