    SubjectRe: Intel P6 vs P7 system call performance
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > It's not as good as a pure user-mode solution using tsc could be, but
    > we've seen the kinds of complexities that has with multi-CPU systems, and
    > they are so painful that I suspect the sysenter approach is a lot more
    > palatable even if it doesn't allow for the absolute best theoretical
    > numbers.

    The complexity only applies to nonsynchronized TSCs though, I would
    assume. I believe x86-64 uses a vsyscall using the TSC when it can
    provide synchronized TSCs, and if it can't it puts a normal system call
    inside the vsyscall in question.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.020 / U:9.728 seconds]