SubjectRe: Linux v2.5.52

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > Alternatively, never EVER make a patch against the "current kernel
> > version". Only make a patch against the _last_ kernel that you merged
> > with, and if I cannot apply it I will tell you so. Making a patch just
> > between your tree and mine will _always_ end up losing fixes.
> I think this is a good approach. If people sent Linus patches with some
> indication of the baseline of the patch, such as BASELINE=v2.5.49 in the
> header of the patch,

The problem here is that I often cannot do a sane merge.

I have no problem at all merging stuff that is a week old or so (major
clashes happen sometimes, and I ask for help, but it's rare). However, if
somebody really uses a major external CVS tree and does big patches,
eventually the likelihood of a problem grows big enough that the patch
sender might as well merge _first_ anyway, since otherwise I'll just ask
for his help.

HOWEVER, even if I end up having to ask for help, this is probably
preferable to the "just install my tree" approach, since at least we don't
lose bugfixes and other updates silently.