    SubjectRe: Linux v2.5.52

    On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Larry McVoy wrote:
    > > Alternatively, never EVER make a patch against the "current kernel
    > > version". Only make a patch against the _last_ kernel that you merged
    > > with, and if I cannot apply it I will tell you so. Making a patch just
    > > between your tree and mine will _always_ end up losing fixes.
    > I think this is a good approach. If people sent Linus patches with some
    > indication of the baseline of the patch, such as BASELINE=v2.5.49 in the
    > header of the patch,

    The problem here is that I often cannot do a sane merge.

    I have no problem at all merging stuff that is a week old or so (major
    clashes happen sometimes, and I ask for help, but it's rare). However, if
    somebody really uses a major external CVS tree and does big patches,
    eventually the likelihood of a problem grows big enough that the patch
    sender might as well merge _first_ anyway, since otherwise I'll just ask
    for his help.

    HOWEVER, even if I end up having to ask for help, this is probably
    preferable to the "just install my tree" approach, since at least we don't
    lose bugfixes and other updates silently.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.037 / U:3.936 seconds]