    SubjectRe: 2.5.51 ide module problem
    On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Adam J. Richter wrote:

    > >depmod will ecounter "Segmentation fault" if the ide.ko and ide-io.ps
    > >modules are in /lib/modules/2.5.51/kernel
    >
    > I think the new depmod recurses infinitely when it encounters
    > circular dependencies. It eventually segfaults and leaves a huge
    > modules.dep file from the infinite loop. If you look at the final
    > huge line in that file, you can see where the loop occurred.
    >
    > depmod has no need to do any recursion, since it only needs
    > to determine the immediate dependencies of each module. However,
    > noticing such loops and printing them out would be a handy feature.
    >
    > I use IDE as a module, but I had to change the Makefile to
    > build a big ide-mod.o from most of the core objects rather than
    > allowing each one to be its own module. I believe I posted IDE
    > modularization patches at least once a couple of months ago, but it
    > seems to have fallen between the cracks. I could repost it if need
    > be

    Yes, please, send me your patch. I hope this patch works for
    module-init-tools-0.9.3

    >, although I have not yet booted 2.5.51.

    I had same problem with pre 2.5.51. With 2.5.51, kernel now boot and I'm
    able to get login prompt using ramdisk. Only catch is I've to specify
    root=/dev/ram0 instead of /dev/ram for it to boot.

    Thanks,
    Jeff.

    > Also note that I have not used the in kernel-based module
    > loader recently, as I have been patching my kernels to use the user
    > level module code. I am planning to try the kernel-base module loader
    > in 2.5.51 once I fix other problems it has finding the root device
    > under devfs. So, it's remotely possible that you may also see module
    > problems that I've missed.
    >
    > Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 575 Oroville Road
    > adam@yggdrasil.com \ / Milpitas, California 95035
    > +1 408 309-6081 | g g d r a s i l United States of America
    > "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.057 / U:63.188 seconds]