    SubjectRe: 2.5.51 ide module problem
    >depmod will ecounter "Segmentation fault" if the ide.ko and ide-io.ps
    >modules are in /lib/modules/2.5.51/kernel

    I think the new depmod recurses infinitely when it encounters
    circular dependencies. It eventually segfaults and leaves a huge
    modules.dep file from the infinite loop. If you look at the final
    huge line in that file, you can see where the loop occurred.

    depmod has no need to do any recursion, since it only needs
    to determine the immediate dependencies of each module. However,
    noticing such loops and printing them out would be a handy feature.

    I use IDE as a module, but I had to change the Makefile to
    build a big ide-mod.o from most of the core objects rather than
    allowing each one to be its own module. I believe I posted IDE
    modularization patches at least once a couple of months ago, but it
    seems to have fallen between the cracks. I could repost it if need
    be, although I have not yet booted 2.5.51.

    Also note that I have not used the in kernel-based module
    loader recently, as I have been patching my kernels to use the user
    level module code. I am planning to try the kernel-base module loader
    in 2.5.51 once I fix other problems it has finding the root device
    under devfs. So, it's remotely possible that you may also see module
    problems that I've missed.

    Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 575 Oroville Road
    adam@yggdrasil.com \ / Milpitas, California 95035
    "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.019 / U:63.908 seconds]