SubjectRe: 2.5 Changes doc update.
On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 12:25, Dave Jones wrote:

Nice work, Dave.

> - The bdflush() system call is still there and still just causes
> the calling process to exit. This strangeness is presumably there
> to support people whose initscripts are trying to start the obsolete
> 'update' daemon. It's likely this will become deprecated and usage of
> this will start logging messages to syslog.

This is now the case in 2.5-mm - bdflush() is deprecated and will print
a stern warning on use.

I suspect this will move to mainline shortly.

> Need checking.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> - Someone reported evolution locks up when calender/tasks/contacts is selected.
> Further digging has revealed a change to the getpeername syscall changed
> behaviour. See http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution-hackers/2002-October/005218.html
> for a patch to ORBit.

Yes, Evolution is broken. The problem is actually ORBit. I have talked
to Elliot Lee about this and we are not sure whether it is the kernel's
or ORBit's fault. I originally thought it was ORBit's, but it is
looking like the kernel's to be honest. The behavior of getpeername()
wrt to sun_path seems to of changed. If any networking hacker wants to
look into it, please do :)

In the mean time, you CAN fix the problem by patching ORBit. I have a
patch and RPM packages available at:

http://tech9.net/rml/orbit/

Which works just fine for me.

Robert Love