SubjectRe: [lkcd-devel] Re: What's left over.
Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> So my gut impression at least says an interface that ignores where
> the image wants to live just adds complexity in other places,

Linus' alloc_kernel_pages function would actually be able to handle
this, provided that the "validity callback" checks if the allocated
page happens to be in one of the destination areas.

I'm not so sure if this implementation is really that much more
compact than your current conflict resolution, though. Also, it may
be hairy in scenarios where you actually expect to fill more than
50% of system memory. (But your concerns about a 128MB limit scare
me, too. I realize that people have taken initrds to extremes I
never quite imagined, but that still looks a little excessive :-)

- Werner

/ Werner Almesberger, Buenos Aires, Argentina /

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.198 / U:5.400 seconds]