SubjectWhither the "system without /proc" crowd?
Date
On Friday 08 November 2002 13:58, Jens Axboe wrote:

> Here's a patch that includes that feature, puts the tunables in sysfs
> (so you obviously need that mounted). In
>
> /sys/block/<disk>/iosched

Stupid question time:

A great deal of text has been expended over the years by people desperately
trying to make sure you didn't need /proc mounted to have a usable system,
for some definition of usable. Now with rootfs, initramfs, sysfs, and the
libfs inspired "make a filesystem rather than an ioctl" policy, the main
argument against requiring the use of /proc is that it has a lot more gunk in
it (left over from the days when it was the only ramfs type system to export
values in) than anyone is comfortable with. (The argument against /dev/pty
largely seems to be inertia, now that the "number of ptys" issue as a config
tunable seems to have been cleared up).

There seems to be some sort of nebulous plan for eventually stripping down
/proc, perhaps making a "crapfs" that's a union mount on top of /proc
providing deprecated legacy support for a release or two. But I haven't
heard it explicitly stated.

So my questions are:

1) will some subset of /proc, /sys, /dev/pty, etc become required at some
point in the future on everything but the most customized embedded systems?
Or is keeping the system usable without them still a goal?

2) Is there a plan to rehabilitate /proc?

(I ask because I don't know. Maybe I missed some important posts...)

Rob

--
http://penguicon.sf.net - Terry Pratchett, Eric Raymond, Pete Abrams, Illiad,
CmdrTaco, liquid nitrogen ice cream, and caffienated jello. Well why not?