    SubjectRe: [STATUS 2.5] November 6, 2002
    Date
    On Wednesday 06 November 2002 21:15, Guillaume Boissiere wrote:
    > With Halloween behind us, I have regrouped all the remaining items on
    > the status list into 2 categories: 2.6 and post-2.6.
    > I'd be great if folks in the know could comment on the relevance of
    > the breakdown!
    >
    > The full list is at http://www.kernelnewbies.org/status/
    > Enjoy!

    Does your "in 2.6" category mean during the 2.6-pre stage? I doubt James
    Simmons's console layer rewrite would be dropped in between 2.6.3 and 2.6.4.
    It might still go in because it was submitted by deadline and Linus still
    seems to be chewing through the backlog a bit, but that does strike me as
    something that people would want a crack at during the stabilization phase
    (the 2.6-pre kernels). But I think it has to be before 2.6.0. (I think.)

    Ditto for the IPV6 rewrite, the people who are currently using IPV6 may want a
    bit of warning about it. (Unless they're going to do a new/old configuration
    option nightmare thing, which seems really unlikely...)

    > o in 2.6 32bit dev_t (?)

    I suspect this got bumped to 2.7, but haven't heard a thing about it from Alan
    or Al. Again, not a "during 2.6" item (that I know of), but that's just a
    guess.

    Of course since it's coming from Al, he may not bother CCing the list and just
    send it straight to Linus. He's one of the few people who can get away with
    that. (And vi script patches. He seems to have a personality that scares
    bugs away...)

    Rob

    --
    http://penguicon.sf.net - Terry Pratchett, Eric Raymond, Pete Abrams, Illiad,
    CmdrTaco, liquid nitrogen ice cream, and caffienated jello. Well why not?