    SubjectRe: ps performance sucks (was Re: dcache_rcu [performance results])
    > Hehe.  You just reinvented my old /dev/ps driver.  :)

    Indeed, sounds much more like a /dev thing than a /proc thing
    at this point ;-)

    > This is what Linus has to say on the subject:
    > ... If the problem is that /proc
    > is too large, then the right solution is to just clean up
    > /proc. Which is getting done. And yes, /proc will be larger
    > than /dev/ps, but I still find that preferable to having two
    > incompatible ways to do the same thing.

    Ummm ... how do we make /proc smaller than 1 file to open per PID?
    It's pretty easy to get it down that far. But it still sucks.

    > I do dislike /dev/ps mightily.

    Well it can't be any worse than the current crap. At least it'd
    stand a chance in hell of scaling a little bit. So I took a very
    quick look ... what syscalls are you reduced to per pid, one ioctl
    and one read?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.019 / U:132.360 seconds]