    SubjectRe: RFC: A POSIX Linux project?
    On Nov 04, 2002  18:14 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > I wonder if any vendors, or independent groups, would be interested in
    > maintaining a POSIX compliancy patchkit for the Linux kernel?
    > IMO such a "POSIX Linux" project would be useful for several reasons.
    > Overall, I think there is pressure from several directions to get all
    > sorts of POSIX APIs into the kernel. On occasion, kernel hackers are
    > confronted with a situation where complete POSIX compliancy may mean a
    > compromise in some area, be it performance, security, API issues, code
    > cleanliness issues, etc. Or simply that the POSIX-related code just
    > isn't ready to be merged into the mainline kernel yet.
    > The vendors also benefit by this, because the barrier to entry in
    > POSIX-related cases would be lowered, which would in turn satisfy the
    > demands of customers. Which would in turn give the mainline kernel all
    > the software engineering benefits that come from a more reasoned and
    > gradual review and merge of new features.
    > Does something like this already exist? This would need to be an open,
    > vendor-neutral project...

    What about the existing POSIX test suite from X/Open? I don't know what
    the current license is, but it is certainly freely downloadable from
    their website. However, it is a pain in the a** to set up and run, so
    a new version would definitely be welcome.

    I would give you a URL, but I don't have access to my mail archives now.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
    \ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?" -- Dogbert

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.021 / U:8.772 seconds]