    SubjectRe: RFC: bare pci configuration access functions ?
    On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 12:17:45PM -0800, Lee, Jung-Ik wrote:
    > Hi Greg,
    > > What's wrong with the _existing_ pci_config_read() and
    > > pci_config_write() function pointers that ia64 and i386 have?
    > > Can't you
    > > just look into if the other archs can set them to the proper
    > > function in
    > > their pci init functions too?
    > Other architectures' PCI config access methods vary and require their own
    > address mappings, etc.

    Ah, so exporting those types of functions is not pratical? Oh well...

    > There could be two ways to achieve bare pci config accesses for all
    > architectures.

    Wait, again I'm confused. Let's go over the main points here:

    - for 2.5 everyone uses the pci_bus_read_config* and
    pci_bus_write_config* functions and is happy. Well ACPI isn't happy,
    but the code there currently works, so let's leave it at that.

    - for 2.4 we don't have the pci_bus* functions, so we need to do
    something. I originally wanted to look into exporting the
    pci_config_* function pointers, but you said that doesn't look
    possible based on the different arch specific implementation.

    - Because of this, you just proposed a patch, yet your patch uses the
    pci_bus_* functions which are not present on 2.4. If they were,
    everyone would be happy again, and not need such a patch, right?

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.019 / U:26.676 seconds]