SubjectRe: keyboard not recognized with 2.5 kernels

Thanks to Adam J. Richter, who was clever enough to figure out that
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD wasn't set correctly in my .config file. I have no
idea how I missed that when I was grepping through trying to figure out
what else I needed to set. Sorry for the trouble.

-matt

Matt Pharr <matt@pharr.org> writes:
> Petr Baudis <pasky@ucw.cz> writes:
>> Dear diary, on Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 12:17:04AM CET, I got a letter,
>> where Matt Pharr <matt@pharr.org> told me, that...
>> ..snip..
>>> After 2.5 boots, my keyboard doesn't seem to be recognized (it's an
>>> old-style one plugged into the keyboard port, not a USB keyboard).
>>> Everything is fine up to the login: prompt, but then any key I hit doesn't
>>> cause anything to happen (including ctrl-alt-del).
>> ..snip..
>>> I don't think I did anything dumb in the configuration step--I used my
>>> working 2.4.19 .config file, did a 'make oldconfig', and answered questions
>>> in conservative ways. In particular, I do have CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD set
>>> properly: [...]
>>
>> Try to answer yes to the Serial i/o support (under Input device support) and
>> then enable support of the i8042 PC Keyboard controller.
>
> Hmm, I didn't have that set before, but setting it and rebuilding doesn't
> make things better, with or without the 'i8042_direct=1' flag at boot-time.
> (I've rebuilt it all twice now, with an extra 'make clean' in the middle,
> just to be sure.)
>
> bash-2.05a# grep SERI !$
> grep SERI .config
> CONFIG_SERIO=y
> CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
> CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
> # CONFIG_SERIO_CT82C710 is not set
> # CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
> # CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD is not set
> # CONFIG_SERIAL_8250 is not set
> # CONFIG_SND_SERIAL_U16550 is not set
>
> Any other ideas?
>
>> Making the keyboard configuration under 2.5.x more obvious is currently in the
>> process of discussion.
>
> Sounds good. I'm guessing that I missed some other important config option
> here. Perhaps someone could send me their .config file, I can enable what
> extra stuff I need (xfs, etc), and I can then figure out what else I needed
> to enable?
>
> thanks,
> -matt

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.040 / U:0.076 seconds]