    SubjectExaggerated swap usage

    Forgive me if I don't provide enough information just yet, or am not
    clear enough. I simply don't know what setting to tweak.

    I'll explain.
    In recent 2.4.20 pre and rc kernels ( I tend to use the ac branch ), I
    had notice my system, when using X mainly, got terribly slow after some
    use. It surprised me that when I tried 2.5.47 this did not happen at
    all, since I thought my problem was a lack of memory - the system has
    384MB -.
    Hence I tried to find where the difference was. What I found is that
    2.4.20 kernels - 2.4.19 does the same -, was swapping just too much,
    while there was a lot free memory on the system, cached but free.
    I disabled all swap and it suddenly began to work smoothly again, yet
    with the random kills when memory was a scarce resource on the system.
    I've tried different sysctl's vm.overcommit settings but the result is
    the same.

    I also found a 2.4.x kernel which did not show this behavior, WOLK, in
    any version I tried.

    Could you please point me toward something I can try tweaking, or some
    documentation to read which explains what I can change, unless it's some
    kind of kernel problem?

    BTW, aa kernels behaved somewhat better on this, only that the last one
    I tried -rc2aa1- had some stability problems.

    I can provide you with dmesg, /proc/meminfo or whatever might be useful.

    Thanks in advance :)

    Javier Marcet <>
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.020 / U:16.952 seconds]