SubjectRe: A Kernel Configuration Tale of Woe
If Linux is to fulfil its potential and become the OS of choice for
home, office and server applications, we need to conduct ourselves in a
gown up manner and be, well, nice.

If I have an idea, but put it forward in the wrong forum, I would expect
to be politely redirected. "What the f**k has this to do with the
kernel? Go away" is not nice and will see the unlucky recipient
scuttling back to Windows.

If I present my work for peer review, I would invite and respect any
politely given criticism or advice. "What is this strange *crap*? This
will only get into the kernel over my dead body" is not the way to
secure ongoing efforts and enthusiasm.

And remember that people posting here for maybe the first time are not
aware of what has gone before, the unspoken rules and conventions.

And now I am guilty of being arrogant, and off topic.

Andrew

Miles Bader wrote:
> "LA Walsh" <law@tlinx.org> writes:
>
>>If you are identified with your work, then any questioning about the
>>'standard way of doing things' is an immediate threat that is to be
>>eliminated, expeditiously. The strength of reaction is a gauge to the
>>arrogant person's level of fear.
>

> The original message had a rather obnoxious (and arrogant) tone, I
> thought, which certainly didn't help.
>
> -Miles

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.051 / U:0.296 seconds]