    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] Re: [NFS] htree+NFS (NFS client bug?)

    >> If glibc issued a new readdir request (which is what I suspect
    >> has happened here), the NFS client has no idea what the
    >> previous reply was

    > Well, glibc will *always* issue another readdir, because the
    > only way we can ever tell glibc that we're at EOF on the
    > directory is when we eventually return 0 from getdents. The
    > question about client behaviour is, if we've already been told
    > that the stream is at EOF, should the client simply discard
    > that info and keep reading regardless, or should it cache the
    > EOF status?

    We could possibly cache the EOF status by overloading some other field
    in the struct file. f_version comes to mind as a useful candidate,
    since it automatically gets reset by llseek.

    Cheers,
    Trond

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.020 / U:214.236 seconds]