SubjectRe: uml-patch-2.5.49-1
On Nov 26, 2002  13:29 -0500, Jeff Dike wrote:
> design cleanliness - a UP UML is inherently single-threaded, so it's
> pointless to have many host processes when only one of them can be running.
> A host process maps much more cleanly onto a UML processor than a UML process,
> and a UML process maps much more cleanly onto a host address space than a
> host process.

How does GDB now distinguish between UML processes? Previously, with
GDB and UML one would "det; att <host pid>" to trace another process.
Will there be equivalent functionality in the new setup?

I was just thinking about hacking the UML PID allocation code so that
the UML process PID == host process PID, so that it is easier to debug
multiple kernel threads (which are all called "kernel thread" and are
hard to align with a specific UML kernel thread).

Will SMP UML "just" be a matter of forking the host process and sharing
the /proc/mm file descriptors, along with a UML SMP scheduler and some
IPC to decide which host process is running each UML process?

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger