    SubjectRe: A Kernel Configuration Tale of Woe
    Date
    > > For boards its not that simple. Many vendors release multiple >
    > > utterly different machines with the same box, bios and ident.
    > > The customer is told "IDE CD, 100mbit ethernet", the customer
    > > gets random cheapest going ethernet.
    >
    > Agreed - so then the association between "board" and "chipset" must
    > be capable of being multi-valued, and when there is a mult-valued
    > match there must be some means of further interrogating the user (or
    > user agent) for more information.

    This demonstrates a very important point - _any_ automatic
    configuration program is likely to cause more traffic to this mailing
    list, and create more work for users and developers that the current
    automatic configuration process:

    echo 'My box doesn't boot' | mail linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org

    The kernel knows nothing about motherboards, cards, etc. It knows
    about chipsets, and nothing else. By definition, you cannot have a
    kernel configurator that works at a higher level than that.

    Why don't we introduce a make allworkingmodules config, which compiles
    everything as modules, except for the things that are broken as
    modules, (for example IDE in the current 2.5.x tree would be compiled
    in).

    John.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.021 / U:63.104 seconds]