SubjectRe: Modules with list
>In message <200211260406.UAA22079@adam.yggdrasil.com> you write:
>> Rusty Russell wrote:
>> >In message <200211252211.OAA02085@baldur.yggdrasil.com> you write:
>> [...]
>>
>> >OK, I've read this in detail now. It's a fine scheme, but the devil
>> >is inside here:
>>
>> >struct device_driver *
>> >get_driver_by_name(struct bus_type *bus_type, const char *name)
>> >{
>> > down_read(&bus->rwsem);
>>
>> >Now, that's perfectly fine for drivers, but try doing that on every
>> >network packet.
>>
>> You're looking up a driver by name or incrementing a module
>> reference count on every network packet? Where? Show me, please.

>TCP for example, sets the destructor function for the skb. It can be
>called an arbitrary time later. Netfilter modules do a similar thing,
>for similar reasons. You'd better grab a reference to *something*.

The ->remove() function of a network device driver will
not return until it has freed all receive skb's that it allocated
and all transmit skb's that were passed to its transmit function.

Why would setting skb->destructor attempt to increment the use
count on a module? As far as I can tell, it's own incremented in
dev_open().

[...]
>> With your scheme, you really do have unnecessary failures.
>> For example, the system really can tell you that the iso9660
>> filesystem is not found when, in fact, there is a module for it
>> (because you asked at just the wrong moment, when it was being
>> unloaded).

>This would only happen if someone says "rmmod --wait".

No. Let's walk through an example of get_fs_type in
fs/filesystems.c, starting at line 229:

struct file_system_type *get_fs_type(const char *name)
{
struct file_system_type *fs;

read_lock(&file_systems_lock);
fs = *(find_filesystem(name));
if (fs && !try_inc_mod_count(fs->owner))
fs = NULL;
read_unlock(&file_systems_lock);
if (!fs && (request_module(name) == 0)) {
read_lock(&file_systems_lock);
fs = *(find_filesystem(name));
if (fs && !try_inc_mod_count(fs->owner))
fs = NULL;
read_unlock(&file_systems_lock);
}
return fs;