    SubjectRe: 2.4.20-rc3 ext3 fsck corruption -- tool update warning needed?
    On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 12:12:55AM -0500, Clemmitt Sigler wrote:
    > I'd been running 2.4.20-rc3 for two days. While rebooting it tonight
    > fsck.ext3 corrupted my / partition during an automatic fsck of the
    > partition (caused by the maximal mount count being reached). (I had
    > backups so I was able to recover :^) The symptoms were that some files
    > like /etc/fstab and dirs like /etc/rc2.d disappeared -- not good.

    Did you also get some duplicated entries in /etc? I've had a
    similar problem, with some files in /etc vanishing entirely, and
    others being duplicated (so I got, for example, /etc/fstab appearing
    twice in `ls /etc`). This has happened, as far as I can tell,
    spontaneously -- no reboot, no run of fsck, not even any non-daemon
    processes running other than X and an xterm. The machine wasn't being
    used at all. Nothing turns up in the syslogs -- no oops, no bug,
    nothing.

    Running fsck recovers the missing files into lost+found, but
    doesn't remove the duplicated filenames. Duplicate files can be
    deleted, but only one "filename" is removed, and the file then no
    longer exists except to ls -- it shows up in `ls /etc`, but (e.g.)
    `cat /etc/fstab` gives a "No such file or directory" error.

    > My system is Debian Testing, with Debian e2fsprogs version
    > 1.29+1.30-WIP-0930-1. I use ext3 partitions with all options set to
    > the defaults (ordered data mode). This is an SMP system, in case
    > that matters.

    I'm also using Debian testing with the same e2fsprogs. I saw the
    effect on ext2, on a UP box.

    > Please e-mail me for any other details that might help.
    >
    > I'm wondering if this change between -rc1 and -rc2 might be a factor ->
    >
    > <tytso@think.thunk.org>
    > HTREE backwards compatibility patch.

    I remember seeing a comment about HTREE running past when I tried
    the e2fsck for the first time. Don't know if this is relevant.

    I've seen this happen twice now -- both times requiring a day or so
    of effort to recover the system configuration (it wasn't up for long
    enough between times to do a system backup :( ). I can't afford any
    more downtime on this machine for the next month or so, so I'm no
    longer running ext2 on my root partition -- I moved to reiserfs in the
    hope that it'll be more stable.

    Hugo.

    PGP: 1024D/1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or www.carfax.nildram.co.uk
    --- On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays they called it a particle. ---
    On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, they called it a
    wave. On Sundays, they just prayed.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.023 / U:95.756 seconds]