    SubjectRe: New module loader makes kernel debugging much harder
    On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 11:49:32AM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:

    > Even for module profiling, we need section data available.

    I know, that's why I agreed with you...

    > Although all module code currently goes in a single text area, there is
    > no guarantee that will always be the case. In the past we have had
    > multiple text areas in modules (out of line lock code used its own
    > section for a long time) and future changes could require multiple text
    > sections. To do profiling correctly, you need to know where all the
    > text sections are, i.e. the module loader has to publish symbols and
    > section data. Loosing that data is a big step backwards.

    Actually all *I* need is the address of one of the sections, as long as
    they're simply mapped in we can work backwards given the sample file
    and the offset of that section. So this already worked for when the
    locking code was a separate section. But yeah, it would be helpful for
    other uses to have more info available.

    Khendon's Law: If the same point is made twice by the same person,
    the thread is over.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.020 / U:30.240 seconds]