    SubjectRe: Compiling x86 with and without frame pointer
    I use -momit-leaf-frame-pointer for optimization in some own projects,
    instead of the "-fomit-frame-pointer". For me, this results in better
    codesize/speed compared to both "-fomit-frame-pointer" or no option at
    all. Actually gcc-2.95 seems to support this feature as well, but it
    never made it into the 2.95 docs... It makes debugging a lot easier too.

    So anyone "caring to benchmark", could you please test the
    "-momit-leaf-frame-pointer" option for x86 as well...

    Mark Mielke wrote:
    > A few weeks ago I was surprised to find that code compiled with
    > -fomit-frame-pointers reliably executed a few percentages slower.
    > Since the functions I was testing were not anywhere big enough to
    > fill even the I1 cache, I wrote it off as 'the CPU is obviously
    > optimized to expect certain instruction sequences after call and
    > before ret'. Something to think about anyways...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.025 / U:151.420 seconds]