    SubjectRe: kill i_dev
    > We can kill i_dev.
    > BTW, watch out for socket.c use of ->i_dev.

    Yes, I looked at that but concluded that someone (you?)
    had added the assignment just to preserve the guarantee
    previously given by get_empty_inode() at the moment it
    was replaced by new_inode(). But it is superfluous, I think.

    > However, rdev and [cb]dev will have to remain separate.

    We can fight later on that one. My point of view is
    that just like i_dev is a field in i_sb, also i_rdev
    can be retrieved from i_[cb]dev.

    Something else is kdev_t. I liked it when it was a pointer.
    Now it is just garbage and the kernel is full of conversions
    to and from. Is there any reason not to throw out all of kdev_t?
    That is, is there a reason to have a kdev_t different from dev_t?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.018 / U:71.176 seconds]