SubjectRe: RFC - new raid superblock layout for md driver
Neil,

I would suggest adding a 64 bit field called "unique_identifier" to the
per-device structure. This would allow a RAID volume to be locked to a
specific host, allowing the ability for true multihost operation.

For FibreChannel, we have a patch which places the host's FC WWN into
the superblock structure, and only allows importing an array disk (via
ioctl or autostart) if the superblock's WWN matches the target dev_t's
host fibrechannel WWN. We also use this for environments where slots
are used to house either CPU or disks and lock a RAID array to a
specific cpu slot. WWNs are 64 bit, which is why I suggest such a large
bitsize for this field. This really helps in hotswap environments where
a CPU blade is replaced and should use the same disk, but the disk
naming may have changed between reboots.

This could be done without this field, but then the RAID arrays could be
started unintentionally by the wrong host. Imagine a host starting the
wrong RAID array while it has been already started by some other party
(forcing a rebuild) ugh!

Thanks
-steve

Neil Brown wrote:

>The md driver in linux uses a 'superblock' written to all devices in a
>RAID to record the current state and geometry of a RAID and to allow
>the various parts to be re-assembled reliably.
>
>The current superblock layout is sub-optimal. It contains a lot of
>redundancy and wastes space. In 4K it can only fit 27 component
>devices. It has other limitations.
>
>I (and others) would like to define a new (version 1) format that
>resolves the problems in the current (0.90.0) format.
>
>The code in 2.5.lastest has all the superblock handling factored out so
>that defining a new format is very straight forward.
>
>I would like to propose a new layout, and to receive comment on it..
>
>My current design looks like:
> /* constant array information - 128 bytes */
> u32 md_magic
> u32 major_version == 1
> u32 feature_map /* bit map of extra features in superblock */
> u32 set_uuid[4]
> u32 ctime
> u32 level
> u32 layout
> u64 size /* size of component devices, if they are all
> * required to be the same (Raid 1/5 */
> u32 chunksize
> u32 raid_disks
> char name[32]
> u32 pad1[10];
>
> /* constant this-device information - 64 bytes */
> u64 address of superblock in device
> u32 number of this device in array /* constant over reconfigurations */
> u32 device_uuid[4]
> u32 pad3[9]
>
> /* array state information - 64 bytes */
> u32 utime
> u32 state /* clean, resync-in-progress */
> u32 sb_csum
> u64 events
> u64 resync-position /* flag in state if this is valid)
> u32 number of devices
> u32 pad2[8]
>
> /* device state information, indexed by 'number of device in array'
> 4 bytes per device */
> for each device:
> u16 position /* in raid array or 0xffff for a spare. */
> u16 state flags /* error detected, in-sync */
>

>This has 128 bytes for essentially constant information about the
>array, 64 bytes for constant information about this device, 64 bytes
>for changable state information about the array, and 4 bytes per
>device for state information about the devices. This would allow an
>array with 192 devices in a 1K superblock, and 960 devices in a 4k
>superblock (the current size).
>
>Other features:
> A feature map instead of a minor version number.
> 64 bit component device size field.
> field for storing current position of resync process if array is
> shut down while resync is running.
> no "minor" field but a textual "name" field instead.
> address of superblock in superblock to avoid misidentifying
> superblock. e.g. is it in a partition or a whole device.
> uuid for each device. This is not directly used by the md driver,
> [...]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.202 / U:0.288 seconds]