    SubjectRe: [BUG?] Xeon with HyperThreading and linux-2.4.20-rc2
    On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Steffen Persvold wrote:
    > I've two boxes with Dual Xeons 1.8 GHz and HT option enabled in BIOS. When
    > I boot 2.4.20-rc2 with default arguments the kernel detects 4 processors and
    > also reports 4 processors in /proc/cpuinfo wiht the "ht" feature.
    > However, if I boot with the "noht" option (wich I believed turned off HT
    > and therefore only two processors should be available), the kernel still
    > detects 4 processors, _but_ now the "ht" feature in /proc/cpuinfo is not
    > there. Is this the intention of the "noht" option ?

    No, the intention of the "noht" option is as you believed, and it used to
    work that way. I looked at latest sourcec, didn't see anything obviously
    wrong. Sorry, but I don't have a suitable HT machine to check at present.

    > If so, are there any
    > options available to turn off HT support in the kernel completely, so that
    > I don't have to go into the BIOS to turn it off ?
    > If you want to I can provide the dmesg output and .config.
    > I think this issue is not just related to 2.4.20-rc2, but earlier kernels
    > aswell.

    Could others check and report if 2.4.20-rc2 "noht" works for them or not?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.019 / U:3.140 seconds]