SubjectRe: Why /dev/sdc1 doesn't show up...
Date
In message <Pine.GSO.4.21.0211180403440.23400-100000@steklov.math.psu.edu> you
write:
> Not really. For case in question (block devices) there is only one path
> and I'd rather keep it that way, thank you very much.

See other posting. This is a fundamental design decision, and it's
not changing. Sorry.

> Again, by the time when add_disk() got to reading partition table, device
> is _there_. That's it - we had set it up completely, it's ready for IO,
> whatever. At that point we want generic code to do some work with that
> device. And there is no magic path for that - it's normal open/read/close.
>
> There is no "live" flag - you had shown it, you'd better be ready to have
> it used. Doesn't cause any problems.

Unless the module does something else afterwards which fails and wants
to fail the init. You're saying "don't do that", which is not a good
answer 8(

You can implement a "make_module_live()" in module.h if you want
module authors to do two-stage init manually (and trust them to get it
right). Or you can run a notifier on "enlivening" a module: I'd hoped
to avoid that.

Hope that helps,
Rusty.