SubjectRe: [rfc] epoll interface change and glibc bits ...
Davide Libenzi wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
>

>>That is as bad as unsigned long - it is different between 32-bit and 64-bit
>>ABIs.
>>

>Yeah, you right. I did thin about 32bit and 64bit as two diffferent
>kernel-glibc environment, I did not think about 32-64 ABI compatibility.
>Ouch, adding a 64bit object will double the size of the event structure :(
>

>- Davide
>

>-
>

>Yeah, you right. I did thin about 32bit and 64bit as two diffferent
>kernel-glibc environment, I did not think about 32-64 ABI compatibility.
>Ouch, adding a 64bit object will double the size of the event structure :(

Pros of a 64-bit opaque user pointer:
- Simpler programming for userland.
- Fewer cache misses, because there is no need for accessing part of a
separate and large fd->pointer table in userland before being able to
act upon event notification (some implementations can get around this,
but it's very common practice).

Cons:
- 4 bytes memory wastage on 32-bit platforms per struct. Note that it
is not the full 8, because userland needs to have that table of pointers
anyway.

Notes:
- No memory wastage for nontrivial applications on 64-bit platforms.

Matthew D. Hall

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.053 / U:0.404 seconds]