SubjectRe: [patch] threading fix, tid-2.5.47-A3

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> It doesn't do this. Ingo's description simply wasn't right.
>
> The syscall is used in one place and this is when the thread library
> gets initialized. I never gets used unconditionally and in situations
> where the process is not prepared.

Ok, good. That means that "sys_set_userpid()" is fine with me.

That still leaves the other part of the patch. I do not think that SETTID
and CLEARTID should be mixed together. There are perfectly valid reasons
why a parent wants SETTID even when it _doesn't_ want CLEARTID.

In fact, SETTID is clearly useful even without threads, and exactly for
the case that Ingo apparently broke with his patch: the parent wants to
atomically save the TID of the child in the _parents_ address space (so
that a immediate SIGCHLD won't be racy with saving off the pid by the
parent).

So Ingo, please send me just the sys_set_userpid() parts, and revert your
broken code that made SETTID do bad things and only work for threads.

There's no reason to make SETTID/CLEARTID be one flag, since they are
clearly different things, and NPTL can just always set both bits if that
is the behaviour glibc wants (and I agree with that behaviour, of course.
I just disagree with not allowing others to do different things).

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.465 / U:1.064 seconds]