    SubjectRe: 2.5.47bk2 + current modutils == broken hotplug
    Date
    In message <3DD3589C.5000002@pacbell.net> you write:
    > Hotplugging may well change more in 2.5, but I'd rather have it do
    > so on a more flexible schedule than "quick, before 2.5.48 ships"! :)

    Hey, I want to get humpty dumpty back together ASAP, too. But I'm in
    Spain without an x86 box (my test box is available though a modem to
    IBM's intranet, two ssh's away), so it's a little difficult for me,
    too. And I'm still catching up on mail.

    > Is it true that the infrastructure newly in place can easily be
    > made to provide (from user-space) the policy of "driver remains
    > loaded until the devices it's bound to are all unplugged"?

    That should always be true, unless I'm missing something. What kind
    of devices?

    > That'd be a user-friendly policy, but we'd still need to handle
    > today's developer-oriented "sysadmin can always remove module"
    > policy. (Me, I'd run with the "user friendly" policy except
    > when hacking a driver. Then I'd debug/rmmod/update/modprobe.)

    rmmod -f is about as unfriendly as you can get, really 8)

    Cheers,
    Rusty.