    SubjectRe: [parisc-linux] Untested port of parisc_device to generic device interface
    On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 05:26:34PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
    > Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> writes:
    > > > I can't speak for `real machines,' but on my wierd embedded board,
    > > > pci_alloc_consistent allocates from a special area of memory (not
    > > > located at 0) that is the only shared memory between PCI devices and the
    > > > CPU. pci_alloc_consistent happens to fit this situation quite well, but
    > > > I don't think a bitmask is enough to express the situation.
    > >
    > > What does your pci_alloc_consistent() function need from the pci_dev
    > > structure in order to do what you need it to do? Anything other than
    > > the dma_mask value?
    >
    > Currently, it ignores the pci_dev argument entirely (I've never had a
    > device that needed the mask, so I haven't bothered with it). It just
    > allocates a block from the special memory region and returns the result.

    So merely renaming that function to dev_alloc_consistent(), changing the
    first paramater to be a struct device, and proving a macro for all of
    the pci drivers for the old pci_alloc_consistent() name would work just
    fine for you?

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.030 / U:90.376 seconds]