    SubjectRe: devfs
    Alexander Viro wrote:
    > On 12 Nov 2002, Xavier Bestel wrote:
    > > I'm wondering if a totally userspace solution could replace devs ?
    > > Something using hotplug + sysfs and creating directories/nodes as they
    > > appear on the system. This way, the policy (how do I name what) could be
    > > moved out of the kernel.
    > Guys, may I remind you that Oct 31 had been more than a week ago?
    > Devfs *is* a race-ridden pile of crap, but we are in a goddamn feature
    > freeze, so let's get real.
    A kernel feature freeze don't apply to a pure userspace implemetation,
    so let him try. :-) It won't affect the current devfs code, it'll
    simply be configured out.
    /dev on tmpfs, populated by hotplug. Could be interesting to see.

    > Now, does somebody have technical comments on the proposed changes?

    Only the obvious - a cleanup is generally good and so is getting rid
    of unused parameters.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.021 / U:27.724 seconds]