    Subjectpath_to_inst like functionality for Linux needed
    Date
    Now that linux is riddled with cool features, wouldn't it be nice to
    start adding the small touches that seperate the rock solid UNIX OS's
    that scale on very large, complex systems from the small systems that
    only rival windows NT? In this case, im talking about functionality that
    works along the lines of the path_to_inst file in Solaris. (hopefully I
    have set the hook, read on)

    For those that don't know how path_to_inst works, I'll explain it here:

    /etc/path_to_inst is used to preserve device ordering. When Solaris is
    booted with -r (reconfigure) it takes the device tree (on sparc systems,
    devices are arranged in a tree structure) and for each leaf (device) it
    checks the path_to_inst file to see if a device instance already exists
    for it. If not, it assigns one and creates the corresponding device file
    and adds an entry to path_to_inst.

    This protects against the following scenario:

    Say you have five slots. PCI, SBUS, whatever. And lets say you put a
    network card in slot 1. Then let's say a year later you add another of
    the exact same model to slot 0. Now eth0 (or whatever) in linux is
    actually the other card!!

    I know this doesn't seem like a big deal to the hackers of the world,
    but to an experienced system administrator this is a HUGE missing. Let
    me give an example.

    Solaris has two common Volume Managers. Veritas Volume Manager and
    Solstice Disksuite.

    For the most part, Disksuite will do just about anything that Volume
    Manager will do, but people continue to pay $2,000 - $10,000 for Volume
    Manager. Why? Because of the little things .

    When Volume Manager starts, it looks at a section of all disks on the
    system for something called the "Private Region". This section of disk
    space is reserved for information that uniquely defines that particular
    disks function in life, whether that's as the fourth disk in a RAID 0
    stripe, or the third in a concated volume.

    Disk Suite will support several types of RAID, etc.. as well, but if you
    move the cards or cables around things get really gummed up.

    These kinds of things don't matter much to young technical types that
    want to remember everything and are submersed in the details (people
    like myself actually) but I can tell ya, the big shops are totally
    driven by these types of details.

    I currently work at a fortune 500 company and I can attest that
    standards are based on such trivial items.

    So I ask . are there any intentions on adding path_to_inst like
    functionality to linux at some point in the future?

    BTW: Please understand that I love Linux, and im not saying it's not
    Enterprise material. Im just identifying a "missing feature" that I
    think would be trivial for the right people to add to Linux, and would
    go a long way toward making Linux seen as even more of an Enterprise
    Ready Operating system.

    Regards,

    --Buddy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.026 / U:244.856 seconds]