SubjectRe: What's left over.
On 31 Oct 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> Chris is write that crypto api is misdesigned if we want to use hardware
> cryptocards

Hardware support was not an initial goal, as the requirements are not yet
fully known.

From Documentation/crypto/api-intro.txt:

An asynchronous scheduling interface is in planning but not yet
implemented, as we need to further analyze the requirements of all of
the possible hardware scenarios (e.g. IPsec NIC offload).

Hardware accelerators are generally a known issue, with already proven
solutions (e.g. the OpenBSD crypto queue). We don't know much about IPSec
NIC offload yet, however.

- James
James Morris