    SubjectRe: What's left over.
    [ Cc: trimmed ]

    David Lang wrote:
    > One question I have is how much of the driver problem you refer to is
    > becouse of optimizations that the various drivers have, could you fall
    > back to the simplest, works-with-everything,
    > all-timeouts-longer-then-the-slowest-disk slug of a driver that could be
    > used to do this dump?

    Welcome to the wonderful world of code duplication. And don't forget
    the "simplified" TCP/IP stack for network dumps. Uh, USB-attached
    storage, anyone ? :-)

    Special-case dump drivers make perfect sense in isolated cases (e.g.
    narrowly specified boxes) or as a band-aid solution.

    But for a general solution, it seems more appropriate to me to solve
    the problem of moving the kernel data from the damaged system to an
    intact system only once, e.g. using the MCORE approach, than over
    and over again for all possible types of hardware and attachment
    methods.

    The only inherent weakness I see in MCORE is the need to reliably
    reset a device, either to the point where it is operational (if
    used in the process of dumping), or at least to the point where it
    doesn't get in the way (if not used for the dump, e.g. video, HID,
    etc.).

    But this should still be significantly easier than introducing
    "dumb" versions for all drivers. Besides, having a way for cleanly
    shutting down or resetting devices is desirable in other contexts,
    too (e.g. kexec).

    - Werner (disclaimer: not affiliated with Mission Critical Linux,
    any vendor, or any other form of gainful employment)