SubjectRe: linux kernel conf 0.8

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> Another suggestion about naming:
> Take for example drivers/net:
> cat Config.* | wc => 2149 lines
>
> A bit a structure could be needed here.
> Net.conf <= Name equals directory with upper-case first letter
> - Cover the whole directory, and either implicit
> or explicit include other .conf files in that directory
> 3c5xx.conf <= All the configuration for the 3c5xxx chipset drivers
> rrunner.conf <= All configuration for rrunner driver

Good point. Splitting up the big Config.in files is a good idea anyway,
and it becomes even more important when the Config.help information was
included in the file.

However, I disagree with the naming - I'd rather have one common name for
the "main" directory entry than have magic rules like "basename of the
directory capitalized". I don't want to have to search for it.

I also think I'd perfer to have them all start with the same thing, so
that (again) it's clear when a directory has multiple configuration files.

So instead: how about just "Config" for the main per-directory
configuration file, with sub-config's being "Config.3c5xx" and
"Config.rrunner".

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.735 / U:1.076 seconds]