SubjectRe: [kbuild-devel] Re: linux kernel conf 0.8
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

| On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
| >
| > stick with TCL/TK, like xconfig currently uses ?
|
| Too ugly. I actually think QT is a fine choice, I just suspect that it's
| going to cause political issues.
|
| My favourite approach by far is to actually not ship anything graphical
| with the kernel at all, and just hope that the config language syntax is
| stable enough that different groups can do their own as external packages.

Good. I was this -><- close to suggesting "no GUI" -- just didn't
send that part of the message.

| The kernel would ship with just the text-based "reference implementation"
| (if even that - we could just have a few "supporting packages").
|
| The only thing I personally really care about is the Config language,
| since that _has_ to ship with the kernel.

So I think that you and Roman are close to agreement, when Roman
has the library backend ready. Of course someone needs to do a
"reference implementation" with it also, but it doesn't need to
ship with the kernel.

--
~Randy
"In general, avoiding problems is better than solving them."