    SubjectRe: [RFC] embedded struct device Re: [patch] IDE driver model update

    > That would be nice, if it worked that way. As it is we have
    >
    > driver allocates foo
    > driver grabs a reference to foo->dev
    > somebody else grabs/drops temporary references to foo->dev
    > driver call put_device(&foo->dev)
    > driver frees structures refered from foo.
    > driver frees foo.
    >
    > _IF_ the last two steps were done by ->release(), your arguments would
    > work. Actually they are done by driver right after the put_device() call.
    >
    > If you are willing to change that (== move all destruction into ->release()) -
    > yeah, then embedded struct device will work. It's a hell of a work though.

    Yes, and we're willing to do a lot of it.

    That's been the intention the whole time, and would have been done sooner,
    but it's taken a freakin' long time to figure out what assumptions to make
    in the core. And of course, they're not always right. ;) Which means
    there's more work to be done there. The feedback is greatly appreciated,
    and I'm always open to more..

    Thanks,

    -pat

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.022 / U:30.660 seconds]