       From: "" <>
    Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:15:18 +0100

    Although I don't understand why anyone would want it. Apart
    from API changes, why do this ?

    Let's say your driver is the only one that takes advantage
    of argument X in some major API, and we decided to delete
    that argument.

    If your driver is in the tree we wouldn't delete the argument
    and therefore your driver wouldn't break.

    You may not have any desire to upgrade kernels today.
    But 6 months, or a year or two down the road you may
    and the accumulated ABI changes that you have to cope with
    in each and every one of your drivers will be large.
    Why not get this maintainence done for you for free instead
    of losing a week or two of trying to do it yourself?

    Perhaps for job security? :-) At least that would be an honest

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.019 / U:86.204 seconds]