    SubjectRe: The end of embedded Linux?
    On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 09:28:32PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
    > Embedded applications tend to have issues which are entirely specific
    > to that embedded project. As such, those are things that do not
    > belong in a general purpose OS.

    Exactly, every application wants some of the finer details of
    kernel operation tuned to their task.

    > The common areas, like smaller hashtables or whatever, sure put a
    > CONFIG_SMALL_KERNEL option in there and start submitting the
    > one-liners here and there that do it.

    Ahhh, but you just defeated the ideal of being able to customize
    to task. This is where the hallowed "the user is dumb" theory
    bites us in the ass. A single option to control all these sizing
    issues reduces flexibility and that is what the embedded system
    designer is looking for. The ideal situation is if as we work
    on all these areas where we can reduce size, we provide fine
    grained options to tweak them (with a default desktop/server value
    and a default "tiny" value). You can have this CONFIG_TINY or
    whatever, but then we should also provide the ability to tweak
    the values exactly how we want in a specific application. The
    tweaking options can be buried under advanced kernel options
    with the appropriate disclaimers about shooting yourself in
    the foot.

    Matt Porter

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.030 / U:6.496 seconds]