    SubjectRe: New BK License Problem?
    Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

    >In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0210061718370.9062-100000@localhost.localdomain>,
    >Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
    >

    >>so BK cannot be used to access the kernel tree in that case, correct? I'm
    >>just wondering where the boundary line is. Eg. if i started working on a
    >>versioned filesystem today, i'd not be allowed to use BK. I just have to
    >>keep stuff like that in mind when using BK.
    >>

    >And what if that versioning filesystem got accepted into mainline?
    >Every kernel developer would have to buy a BK license.
    >
    >Either that or a versioning filesystem cannot get into mainline.
    >Sorry Hans, no reiser4 in the kernel.
    >
    >Mike.
    >
    >-

    reiser4 will not contain version control. I don't know when version
    control will go into ReiserFS. I do think it should go in eventually
    though, as it makes distributed filesystems more effective if there is
    version control functionality. We would do something that in no way
    resembled BK. We would do it after implementing the core distributed
    tree algorithms. Probably not going to happen in less than 3-5 years.
    Unless I became a much larger business, it would not have the fancy gui
    and all that, and it would not really be targeted at source code, it
    would be targeted at distributed file system users and applications. It
    would handle source code only as an accidental side effect. I don't
    find the version control for programmers market nearly as interesting as
    the version control for distributed/disconnected filesystem users
    market. Probably Larry could buy a license from us for it, and then do
    his source code targeted stuff on top of it.;-)

    But hey, talk to Josh Macdonald, the author of PRCS. If he wants to
    code it, I'll pay for his time to do it. Right now, I think he is
    recovering from the stress of working on reiser4, and last we spoke he
    was more interested in doing key based file system security models than
    in adding version control to reiser5.

    There are so many features missing from ReiserFS, and I am not really
    picky about what order they go in..... With Reiser4 we finally have
    storage layer performance "good enough for now", and now we can focus on
    semantic features and fun/easy stuff for a few years.

    Hans

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.026 / U:0.076 seconds]