    SubjectRe: New BK License Problem?
    On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 18:05, Larry McVoy wrote:

    > On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 09:31:02PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
    >
    > > And what if that versioning filesystem got accepted into mainline?
    > > Every kernel developer would have to buy a BK license.
    > >
    > > Either that or a versioning filesystem cannot get into mainline.
    > > Sorry Hans, no reiser4 in the kernel.
    >
    > If Hans decides to get into the version control space and compete directly
    > against us, your position is that we should be obligated to give him free
    > seats? And that's reasonable in your mind?

    I think the fear is more that via the license you could deny any kernel
    seats.

    I.e., let's say I never intend to work on reiser4 but it is part of the
    source tree I would be working on via BK. Am I at risk?

    Or, what if I do not directly work on reiser4 but I do post an ancillary
    patch - perhaps to fix a compile issue or update reiser4 to some new
    locking change. Am I at risk now?

    I agree 100% with your intentions. You are under no obligation to help
    your competitors for free - nor should you. But BitKeeper is now in a
    position where it is a main-stay in kernel development and it is crucial
    to resolve issues like this. I do not feel arguments like "you get what
    you pay for" or "that is life" are valid, anymore: developers are
    relying on BK and the choice is to resolve the issues or drop BK
    altogether -- not just "live with it".

    Robert Love

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:6.193 / U:0.016 seconds]