    SubjectRe: New BK License Problem?

    Hans Reiser wrote:
    | Oh my, does this mean that if I use BitKeeper software, I am a
    | participant in a conspiracy to restrain trade?
    |
    | Consider: I make reiser4 available by bitkeeper. Competitor of larry
    | wants to use reiser4 but can't access it because access requires
    | bitkeeper. Larry has given me an incentive to participate in
    | discriminating against his competitors (free license for bitkeeper). Am
    | I legally liable and subject to criminal charges if a Clinton judge gets
    | the case?
    |
    | Hans

    Good point... Although I think it would be unfair, for example, to
    be able to use BitKeeper to develop a _commercial_ product that
    would compete with BitKeeper.
    So, _maybe_ the license should be :

    "
    Notwithstanding any other terms in this License, this License is not
    available to You if You and/or your employer develop, produce,
    sell, and/or resell a closed source (GPL, like CVS) product which
    contains substantially similar capabilities of the BitKeeper Software,
    or, in the reasonable opinion of BitMover, competes with the BitKeeper
    Software.
    "

    But of course, who am I to decide... Larry ? ;-)

    FD Cami

    | tom_gall@mac.com wrote:
    |
    |> Greetings all,
    |>
    |> I noticed Larry recently changed the license on bk. Once clause in
    |> particular struck me and I thought I'd better point it out for your
    |> reactions...
    |>
    |> Specifically from Section 3:
    |>
    |> (d) Notwithstanding any other terms in this License, this
    |> License is not available to You if You and/or your
    |> employer develop, produce, sell, and/or resell a
    |> product which contains substantially similar capabil-
    |> ities of the BitKeeper Software, or, in the reason-
    |> able opinion of BitMover, competes with the BitKeeper
    |> Software.
    |>
    |> Doesn't this affect maintainers all across the map that work for
    |> distros such as RedHat, SuSE, Connectiva, etc? Obviously these
    |> distros SELL as part of their respective products CVS and similar
    |> tools. Or even non-distro open source shops, you even resell CVS or
    |> the like in some way and you'd be in trouble.
    |>
    |> While I am all for Larry having a profitable business, this would seem
    |> to be a change which is not Open Source developer friendly.
    |>
    |> Regards,
    |>
    |> Tom

    ~ "To disable the Internet to save EMI and Disney is the
    moral equivalent of burning down the library of Alexandria
    to ensure the livelihood of monastic scribes."
    ~ - John Ippolito (Guggenheim Institute)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.023 / U:59.684 seconds]