    SubjectRe: New BK License Problem?
    > patches in the kernel every day.  Now this isn't possible anymore without

    Nonsense. There are all sorts of people who have taken the BK trees and
    made the patch snapshots available on timely basis. Garzik's done it,
    Woodhouse has done it, Rik has done it, I'm sure there are piles more.
    The kernel is GPLed and we have no control of the kernel source. You
    can get at the source just as easily as ever, in fact, I'm 99.9% sure
    that your access is much better than it used to be because Linus makes
    the changes available on bkbits much more often than he used to make
    pre-patches and/or releases.

    Yeah, if you want to try and make BK go away then the answer is that you
    don't get the benefits of BK while you are trying to accomplish your goals.
    That's not going to change, scream all you want. Those are the rules.

    You have no grounds for complaint because anyone can do the bk export -tpatch
    to get you the exact same patch you would have gotten if you had asked them
    for it before they ever used BK. If you hate BK or the license or just want
    to be traditional, our position is that you should be no worse off than you
    would have been if the kernel wasn't in BK. What you are complaining about
    is that you want access to the *improvements* in the development process
    while you are working on tools which would damage the company who provided
    those improvements. That's asking too much. You can live with what you
    used to live with and work on competing products or you can benefit from the
    new tools, but not both.

    Our position is clear, it's not unreasonable, it affects very few kernel
    developers, and it doesn't even make those developers any worse off than
    they were before we showed up. All we are saying is that you don't get
    to use our tools if you are trying to rewrite our tools. I don't care if
    your name is Linus, Alan, or Ulrich, those rules are uniform for everyone.
    Larry McVoy lm at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.036 / U:131.440 seconds]