SubjectRe: export of sys_call_table

How many other architecture-specific exported symbols are there?

It appears to me that many of the system calls themselves are
architecture-specific, particularly so where 64-bit machines
are involved. Is that a reason to not make them accessible?

On Fri, 04 Oct 2002, David S. Miller wrote:

> From: Alan Cox <>
> Date: 03 Oct 2002 23:02:40 +0100
> Overwriting syscall table entries is not safe. Its not safe because
> there is no locking mechanism, and its not safe because of the pentium
> III errata.
> It is also non-portable, such syscall overwriting requires knowledge
> of the layout of the table on every architecture. On some platforms
> it is a list of pointers + argument count, on some 64-bit platforms
> it is a list of 32-bit truncated pointers to save space.
> There is simply no portable way to make changes to the system call
> table, so exporting it makes zero sense.

Brian F. G. Bidulock ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦ ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in ¦ ¦ trying to adapt the world to himself. ¦
¦ Therefore all progress depends on the ¦
¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦