    SubjectRe: export of sys_call_table

    How many other architecture-specific exported symbols are there?

    It appears to me that many of the system calls themselves are
    architecture-specific, particularly so where 64-bit machines
    are involved. Is that a reason to not make them accessible?

    On Fri, 04 Oct 2002, David S. Miller wrote:

    > From: Alan Cox <>
    > Date: 03 Oct 2002 23:02:40 +0100
    > Overwriting syscall table entries is not safe. Its not safe because
    > there is no locking mechanism, and its not safe because of the pentium
    > III errata.
    > It is also non-portable, such syscall overwriting requires knowledge
    > of the layout of the table on every architecture. On some platforms
    > it is a list of pointers + argument count, on some 64-bit platforms
    > it is a list of 32-bit truncated pointers to save space.
    > There is simply no portable way to make changes to the system call
    > table, so exporting it makes zero sense.

    Brian F. G. Bidulock ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦ ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in ¦ ¦ trying to adapt the world to himself. ¦
    ¦ Therefore all progress depends on the ¦
    ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.027 / U:70.584 seconds]