    SubjectRe: What's left over.
    On 10/31, Matt D. Robinson said something like:
    > On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > |>On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Matt D. Robinson wrote:
    > |>That's fine. And since they are paid to support it, they can apply the
    > |>patches.
    >
    > We want to see this in the kernel, frankly, because it's a pain
    > in the butt keeping up with your kernel revisions and everything
    > else that goes in that changes. And I'm sure SuSE, UnitedLinux and
    > (hopefully) Red Hat don't want to spend their time having to roll
    > this stuff in each and every time you roll a new kernel.

    I share some of your sentiment, but honestly, think about it.

    Linus has to "keep up" with all the changees coming into his inbox as
    well, and the more features, the more breakage that can happen when
    Linus accepts a patch.

    Really, Linus wants to push some of his maintanance overhead to distros,
    who get paid to do it, but also to provide sexy bullet point items for
    users, so they buy "Linux" stuff.

    You try to find a better balance.

    --
    Shawn Leas
    core@enodev.com

    I installed a skylight in my apartment...
    The people who live above me are furious!
    -- Stephen Wright