    SubjectRe: What's left over.
    Trever L. Adams wrote:

    > On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 21:31, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >> > ext2/ext3 ACLs and Extended Attributes
    >> I don't know why people still want ACL's. There were noises about them
    >> for samba, but I'v enot heard anything since. Are vendors using this?
    > I am sure I don't count (not being a vendor), but Intermezzo offers
    > support for this (they are waiting on feature freeze to redo it to 2.5
    > according to an email I have). I want this stuff. Yes, u+g+w is nice,
    > but good ACLs are even better. Please, if this is technically correct
    > in implementation, do put it in.

    I agree, having them is far better then the standard u+g+w that's been
    around for ages. I think it gives the "finer" grain of control over your
    system that a lot of users may desire. Not to mention the fact that ACL's
    are well supported by the recently merged XFS. If I'm not mistaken, AFS
    uses them as well. I *really* don't see the overhead cost here in terms of
    compiled kernel size when they are turned off. As for the size of the
    source tarball, who cares? People should quit whining about the size of
    the sources and get over it! Storage is cheap and broadband is in
    widespread use.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.031 / U:0.624 seconds]