SubjectRe: What's left over.

On 30 Oct 2002, Dax Kelson wrote:

> Without ACLs, if Sally, Joe and Bill need rw access to a file/dir, just
> create another group with just those three people in. Over time, of

If Sally, Joe and Bill need rw access to a directory, and Joe and Bill
are using existing userland (any OS I'd seen), then Sally can easily
fuck them into the next month and not in a good way.

_That_ is the real problem. Until that is solved (i.e. until all
userland is written up to the standards allegedly followed in writing
suid-root programs wrt hostile filesystem modifications) NO mechanism
will help you. ACLs, huge groups, whatever - setups with that sort
of access allowed are NOT SUSTAINABLE with the current userland(s).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.290 / U:11.592 seconds]