    SubjectRe: 2.5.44: what's .tmp_export-objs for?
    On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Rob Landley wrote:

    > I accidentally did a 2.5.44 kernel build as root rather than my normal user,
    > so I'm trying to see what clean steps I need to so (as root) to be able to
    > build the tree again. A normal make clean failed (permission denied deleting
    > files), so I did an su and a make clean. Exit back to normal user, make
    > clean, life is good, do a make dep, and it complains about the directory
    > .tmp_export-objs.
    > 1) Why does the build process use a hidden directory?

    The "make dep" stage generates .ver files for all files listed in
    */Makefile:export-objs. At the same time, it creates a zero-length file
    corresponding to each .ver file in .tmp_export-objs, which are needed to
    afterwards construct include/linux/modversions.h, which is basically

    #include <linux/module/path/obj.ver>

    for all objects we created the .ver files for earlier. Basically,
    .tmp_export-objs is a complicated way to create a list of filenames,
    the reason we cannot just append names to one file is that multiple
    'make's may run in parallel (make -j), so that appending to a single file
    would be racy.

    > 2) Why isn't make clean removing something with "tmp" in the name?

    Well, for some traditional reasons, there is a distinction between
    "make clean" and "make mrproper", where only the latter really removes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.020 / U:21.536 seconds]